Nicola Casarini (PhD, LSE) is Senior Fellow at the Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) and Visiting Professor at the Graduate Institute in Geneva. He is a non-resident Global Fellow at the Wilson Center in Washington DC. Prior to this, he held positions at the Wilson Center in Washington DC, at the EU Institute for Security Studies in Paris; at Bocconi University in Milan; at the European University Institute in Florence; and at the London School of Economics (LSE).
His research interests focus on the interplay between foreign policy, security studies and regional integration. He has published widely on: EU-China and EU-East Asia relations; Chinese foreign policy; East Asia's security; and transatlantic relations. He is the author of the monograph: Remaking Global Order. The Evolution of Europe-China Relations and its Implications for East Asia and the United States (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2009); editor of the volume: Brussels-Beijing: changing the game? (Paris, EUISS, 2013) and co-editor of the volume: European Foreign Policy in an Evolving International System. The Road towards Convergence (Basingstoke and New York, Palgrave MacMillan, 2007). He is currently working on a book comparing US and EU approaches to the Asia-Pacific.
His work has appeared - through op-eds, interviews and citations - in (among the others): TIME Magazine, Foreign Affairs, The National Interest, The Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Euronews, Xinhua, Project Syndicate, The Diplomat, Asia Times, China Daily, The Japan Times, The Korea Herald, Taipei Times, The Straits Times, South China Morning Post, Le Monde, Deutsche Welle, Il Sole 24 Ore.
Nicola is the founder and director of Orientedworld.com, a global consultancy platform.
- 28/03/2021 - press Infobae - Casarini: Qué significa el acuerdo entre Estados Unidos, la Unión Europea y el Reino Unido para sancionar juntos a China por primera vez en 31 años
- 25/03/2021 - press The Diplomat - Casarini: The EU’s Growing Security Cooperation With South Korea
- 29/05/2019 - press The Diplomat - Casarini: EU-Asia Relations
- 01/05/2019 - press Global Times: Casarini - Italy and China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI)
- 12/04/2019 - press China US Focus: Casarini - Europe’s Trumpian Approach Towards China
- 26/03/2019 - press South China Morning Post - Casarini: "Merkel and Junker’s positive tone on the Belt and Road Initiative is sincere, and the EU wants to collaborate with Beijing"
- 23/03/2019 - press El Mundo - Casarini: "Beijing is building an alternative political order"
- 22/03/2019 - press Wiener Zeitung - Casarini: Italy, China's BRI and Austria
- 22/03/2019 - video Cgtn - Casarini: Italy's accession to the Chinese Belt and Road initiative
- 22/02/2019 - press NYT - Casarini: "The dollar is the dominant global currency and doesn’t seem to be waning"
- 26/09/2018 - press China-US Focus - Casarini: European Connectivity and the US-China Relationship
- 25/07/2018 - press Borderlex - Casarini: Italy’s new government risks undermining EU unity on trade and investment
- 03/07/2018 - press China-US Focus - Casarini: Trump's Trade Wars Have Pushed the EU Towards China
- 10/06/2018 - press The Wall Street Journal - Casarini: Buyers of Iran’s Oil Balk at U.S. Push to Isolate Country
- 21/09/2017 - press The Diplomat - Casarini: How Can Europe Contribute to Northeast Asia's Security?
- 07/07/2017 - press China Daily - Casarini: Now China's in the driver's seat
- 22/06/2017 - press China Digital Times - Casarini: China Buying International Silence on Human Rights
- 06/06/2017 - press Foreign Affairs - Casarini: A New Era for EU-China Relations?
- 03/06/2017 - press Beijing Review - Casarini: The Belt and Road Initiative benefits Italian infrastructure
- 20/05/2017 - press CBC News - Casarini: Trump's first foreign trip
- 1 of 3
- next ›